If you’re planning to move into a new office or remodel existing space, you probably already realize there are many important decisions to make before the first wall is built.
The process, while it can be stressful, should also give you an opportunity to think logically about your essential needs. Whether an office layout will serve a single person or must cater to the needs and demands of a score of individuals, primary considerations are much the same.
Here are 10 tips to help you plan for a space that will serve you well now and in the future:
- Plan for Growth: The best office plan leaves room for future growth. Consider your current needs, but also make decisions based on your lease term and long-term goals for business development.
- Build in Flexibility: Traditional walls and cubicles are only one aspect of a great office. Consider the need for collaborative space, meeting rooms, an employee workout room, private “think space,” a client reception area or a mini-kitchen. The answer might be movable partitions or leaving some space unfinished.
- Assure Adequate Technology: The growth of digital technology has added the need for advanced wiring and wireless capability. Rapid changes new planning for future developments.
- Consider Creature Comforts: There is no dispute that employee engagement and loyalty result, at least in part, from a pleasant work environment. Lighting (including natural light from windows), wall color, artwork, climate control, greenery, and outdoor views, and secure outdoor access are essential. Don’t neglect the decor of your new office space.
- Be Aware of Codes: Every commercial office space has specific stipulations for health and safety: Lighted exit signs, accessible restrooms, fire sprinkler systems, adequate ventilation and a myriad of other code requirements that your contractor will be aware of. They are necessary and non-negotiable!
- Allow for Creative Personalization: While not all employees will want a stand-up desk, a dartboard on the wall, or a fully-stocked snack bar, a growing desire for individualized personal space is worth note. Beyond basic functional needs, try to allow some leeway for employee creativity.
- Make the Space Attractive: Commercial remodeling can be every bit as innovative and original as building a home. There is no reason why an office shouldn’t stimulate the mind as well as provide efficient workspace. Choose materials that are not only durable and cost-effective, but that will add to the visual appeal of your new office.
- Make it Healthy: Sustainability and green building techniques are the basis for buildings and office spaces of the future. With a focus on light, temperature control and natural, non-polluting materials, good offices produce benefits regarding productivity and employee satisfaction, as well as physical safety and well being.
- Develop a Realistic Budget: There are no one-size-fits-all solutions, and the cost is always a factor. No matter what your budget, seek lasting value as you design your space and select materials. Remember that cheap is not still the best choice; weigh the financial pros and cons of every decision.
- Work With a Professional Contractor: There are a lot of construction companies in Albuquerque NM, but not all are equally suited to complete tenant improvement projects. Interview contractors, check licenses and references, visit completed projects, and develop a rapport with the company before signing a contract.
We can help you design the perfect office space. Contact us at 505-888-1164 for a complimentary consultation!